Sunday 4 January 2015

A few thank you's, a few memories, and the best experience of my life.


Thank you for reading my blog these past few weeks and following my experience and journey. If you are joining me towards the end, I hope you get a chance to go back and read a few of the earlier ones to help you get a full picture and enjoy them all. What had started off as an informal blog (and my first blog ever) to update a few people in the US, has reached well over 1000 views. Your messages, comments, texts, emails, phone calls, and words of encouragement have been greatly appreciated. Most of the blogs were written late at night off my phone when I tired after long, 16 hour days with the kids, so thank you for putting up with my little errors, run on sentences, and typos. However between the long days, hard work, and being with the kids, I wouldn't change a single thing. I am back in the US but if you ask me to get on a plane and go back, I would do it in a heartbeat.

When I left for Sidsar, I wasn't exactly sure what I was getting into and was a bit nervous. But when I left Sidsar, I was never more confident that I had made the right decision in wanting to come. I had gone to Shree Vijapura Vidhya Sankul with the intentions to teach, coach, and help wherever I could but I left having learnt so much myself. Each day I learned from the kids and teachers whether it was in class, on the field, or just talking to them while eating dinner. Each interaction I had with each student and person has impacted me where I could write a blog on each one and that still would not be enough. Through these kids I was reminded what it is to truly love to learn and want to grow, of course there were kids whose favorite thing in the world wasn't studying but even they enjoyed learning. There was an eagerness about them and this caring and exciting energy that ran through the campus. Through my classes that included topics like introvert/extroverts, state of minds, time management, attitude/behaviour, confidence and so on, each day was a blessing to have the opportunity to teach them new things and often reinforce topics they knew about. The eagerness of the girls wanting to learn football has me determined to go there with a daily plan next time and the excitement of the boys wanting me to play sports with them has me excited to go back and get on the field. I gained so much from sitting in classes with different teachers and seeing how they teach and what works there and doesn't. I learned a lot from them and Dr. Padhiyar, things that go far beyond the four walls of a classroom. I am waiting to go back again to be with the teachers and kids, to be a part of the daily schedule again, and to live and learn along side of them.

While my trip was a success and a joy and the school and staff are wonderful, there are still things to fix and things that we can always improve. We are one of the first schools in Gujarat to have a wifi campus, smart boards, tablets for each of our kids. There are opportunities to develop minds through things outside of the classroom like horse riding, karate, swimming, rifle shooting, public speaking and debate and so on. A campus that takes your breathe away and an enviroment where the mind and body can thrive both peacefully and brilliantly. As we move forward, let's keep focusing on making this the best school possible, not only for the betterment of this school but for the success of these kids and the kids to come.

I also just wanted to take a quick moment to thank my parents for giving me so many opportunities in life and particularly this one. Thank you for supporting me and helping me get to Sidsar and allowing me one of the best experiences of my life. I am what I am because of how you have brought me and Bhai up and all the things you both have sacrificed and done for us. Thank you for everything. I am thankful you were able to be there and share this experience with me.

When people tell me they are proud of me, it is a great feeling, but I am just doing what I can. If we can help, why don't we. It is our duty to help those we can, to uplift those we can, and to do what we can. This is our country, this is our school, and these are our kids, we should do everything we can to give them the proper tools to a better and brighter future. But it doesn't have to just be here, do something where ever your heart desires. To do something, you just have to get up and start doing it, there are always things to be done and people to be helped.

I am proud to say I have gained some of the most valuable things while I was in Sidsar. I have friendships and relationships that I will cherish forever and 500 little brothers and sisters along with my wonderful big brothers and sisters. And some of my most prized possessions like the cards and letters the kids made for me before I left and the watch Dr. Padhiyar gave me that matched the rest of the teachers. You have no idea how much these things mean.

But the things I experienced and continue to feel, I have tried countless times to put into words, but each time they fail to do my experience justice. The perfect words don't exist. However, I hope that I have been able to convey enough and been able to bring you into my world through this blog and the numerous posts. Once again, thank you for taking the time to read this blog and supporting me and the school.

I have already talked and face timed with the kids once I have returned to the States and it was amazing to see them even though it had only been a few days. I did not want to leave but I hope to continue helping them with the help of Dr. Padhiyar through video conferences while I am here in the US. We are also trying to come up with a way to get more students and leaders from our generation to go over and also help teach and coach in Sidsar as a part of a possible exchange or study abroad/teach abroad volunteer program.

I am counting down the days I have been gone and am anxiously counting down the days to hopefully when I will be able to go back. But until then, I will continue to miss them all dearly. I left a piece of my heart in in Sidsar and I am already excited to go back, whenever that will be.

I'll leave you all with what I always told the kids, "When it's time to study, study and when it's time to  play, play". Learn to balance studying and playing, learn to manage your time and do both, both are important. Focus on studying and learning when you are supposed to and you can enjoy playing when you have the chance.



- Aekta




A few of my highlights and favorite times in pictures. I wasn't able to post all of them but here a few:



The school building, always was a great feeling to walk in. 


Loved having the opportunity to teach there!


Some of my favorite times were just talking
to the kids and spending time with them.

Coaching a few of the girls during their free time.
(They came to me asked me to teach them more!!)


Handing out tamarind to the girls waiting patiently
the day we went to the gausala. You can see Manisha Masi
and some of the girls picking them off the tree in the background.

Playing soccer with the 10th & 11th grade boys.
They didn't know how to dive, let alone ever see a girl do it.
Hopefully I changed their views a little bit on what girls are capable of doing.
(P.S. They didn't score on me...sorry Amit Bhai!)


Sitting in various classes with different teachers and kids.
The kids made sure I came to their class atleast once,
that's a lot of classes to cover but I think I made it (6th-11th grade).

The kids have so many amazing resources to use and learn from!

They have things like Karate, Horse Riding, Rifle Shooting,
Swimming, NCC, etc. 

Eating meals with the kids everyday was always a fun time. Dad and Ajay Bhai eating
with some of the boys.

After I gave all the little day school kids (grades 1-5) candy for Christmas.
They were so excited!

Walking the campus with Kiranben and a few of the day schoolers.
We were headed from the school to the hostel where
 the school stationary is. (stationary was like a mini "bookstore")

Spending time with the didis and teaching them
and showing them things from the US.

Visiting the girls in their hostels, who all eagerly pulled
me each way to go see their rooms. 

They have a mini rope line on the playground!
Had fun with the kids, who showed me a few of their own tricks!

Some of my favorite times included just spending time 
with my mota bhais and bens (the teachers). This was the night 
before the Karyakram when we were doing rangoli.
(Left to right: Vidhi Didi, Vaibhav Bhai, Binal Didi, Dharmishtra Didi)
My three 11th grade girls: Khushbu, Khyathi, and Mansi
Some my 9th grade girls!

I always looked forward to prayer time in the morning and evening,
The kids are so creative and talented!



Prince (left) and Bhargav (right) reading the newspapers
during their free time. They have newspaper and magazine
 stands around the school for the kids.
Prince has one of the biggest hearts and is always
helping others and Bhargov was always
ready to talk with a friendly smile. Loved talking to these two
throughout the weeks. 

Meet Krish. I ended up spending a lot of time with him. He is involved in everything, from helping lead prayer time, to doing arts and the christmas dance, to sports and he enjoys being in class too. I helped him with his cricket talent routine for the Karyakrum and taught him how to cushion the ball when he was bringing it back down from a high hit. He also wanted to learn soccer and basketball or anything else I knew. Here he is doing a soccer stepover and learning how to do through the legs crossover in basketball. He's an eager and fast learner! 

"Didi, take our picture too!" These little guys came to the soccer field to watch me play
 and to learn everything they could from what I was teaching. Loved it!

His mom wanted a picture of us and I did too!
Paavan was always smiling and happy to talk!

Saying goodbye was hard but I'm glad I got to
spend my time there with all these smiling faces.

One of the many cards and letters the kids made for me.
How can you not love it?


Sunset from the gausala. The sunsets were beautiful
 every single night at the school.

The walk on campus will never get tiring.
(the hostel on the left, the admin building after it, and school at the end of the path where the people are going towards) 

Until next time Sidsar, until next time.










3 comments: