Sunday 17 January 2016

White Christmas? Sidsar Christmas.

Once again, my apologies for not writing as frequently as last time. Between the lack of time, more responsibilities, and a problem with the wifi, writing was just not as plausible this time. I'm promise to post a few more over the next few days and weeks.





Christmas here has become a start of a tradition now. This is the second one I have had the joy of celebrating here. The best way I describe Christmas to the kids (which they always ask about it) who grasp a loose concept of it is, that it's significance is like Diwali for Christians. Maybe not the best example but it gives them an idea of how big it is. Once again this year Sofiya Didi and Ridhi Didi approached me to help them out with Christmas. This year we ordered Santa suits from Junagadh which dad picked up on his trip for the school there. And the day before, Sofiya Didi, me, and some of the kids started creating the decorations; one of the girls drew Santa and I drew the Christmas tree and then Sofiya Didi and I painted them.





On Christmas Eve during the evening Ridhi Didi gathered some of the kids and decorated the entrance of the school in preparation for the morning. And on Christmas morning, I got to school early with both Didi's to help our three Santa's get ready. To my surprise a lot of the olders boys were there helping the younger kids get ready; it was quite endearing.




















As everyone was coming in the morning with Merry Christmas' and the few Happy Christmas' we stationed our three Santa's for their entrances when no one was looking. The three Santa's were three boys, one from 1-5th grade, one from 6-9th grade, and one from 10-12th grade. They made their grand entrance during the little kids dance; the little kids danced to an adorable Hindi song and finished off with Jingle Bells. The three Santas made their entrance during Jingle Bells and threw out candy from their bags which all of the kids went crazy over.

Sofiya Didi, Ridhi Didi, and the Santa Prep Crew!

The little kids doing a dance during the prathnas

Our three Santas joined them during Jingle Bells

And somehow while Sofiya Didi went to ask Akhil Bhai if she could be the birthday wisher today, I ended up being chosen. So everyday during prayers, the kids who's birthday it is are called up, sung happy birthday by the school and a teacher (different each day) wishes them happy birthday and gives them a birthday card, a pen, and candy. Then the kids each get a turn at the mic and say thank you and what they are going to work towards this year. All of a sudden today was my turn to wish them happy birthday and hand out the little birthday tokens. The English teachers wish them in English, the Hindi teachers in Hindi, and the other teachers in Gujarati...that day was supposed to be Hindi but I was given the liberty of saying it English (thank goodness). Then each of the kids took their blessings by my touching feet which was a crazy but a cool moment for me because I'm considered too young in the US to give my blessings but since I'm considered a teacher there, they paid their respects. 

After the prayers, we handed out a Perk Chocolate bar to each of the teachers and students as a little Christmas gift. (Kids aren't allowed to keep chocolate in their rooms at the hostels, so they were super excited for the treat).

Later that day Amit Bhai stopped by the school. If you guys remember from last year Amit Bhai was one of the male teachers and we ended up playing soccer together and he couldn't score a goal as hard as he and the kids tried. It became a running joke between us. Unfortunately he isn't teaching at our school anymore but he heard I was back and he stopped by. We were going to have a rematch but he couldn't stay until later in the day to play so we played table tennis for an hour or so. It was great to talk to him about how his school and our school was different. Teachers in India are given higher pay at government schools but those schools don't have much potential and are often run down places in towns. He spoke about how different the atmosphere was and how he was frowned upon for doing extra work by the other teachers at his new school. When I asked him about the student population there and compared to ours, he spoke of how different they were; our kids are more focused, brighter, and motivated where his students today are average and don't have the skill set and drive that you find at our Sankul. This isn't to put down any students or teachers there but to point out that while teachers often end up taking government jobs for their stability and pay our students and Sankul are incomparable to other places they will go. Although we have a long way to go, we are truly blessed in our ways.

Amit Bhai and I

Since we couldn't play soccer that day, we decided to settle on Table Tennis. Amit Bhai left happy, he was able to beat me at table tennis a few times. However our bet is still on for the next time I come, I'll still rule the soccer field even with him, Moulik Bhai and Deepak Bhai against me together (they haven't scored yet either).

Later that day we took the bus to Bhayavadar with the kids who are day school students. We were headed there for a few hours. It was a fun experience and a good insight into the life of the day school students, plus we had a lot of fun on the bus ride. 

On our way to Bhayavadar! School bus adventures!

As for Christmas, I always feel a little weird celebrating in 80 degree weather and not the snow, but I wouldn't want it to be any other way. It's become a little Christmas tradition of my own that I always look forward to now.

Merry Christmas from Sidsar!

- Aekta 

No comments:

Post a Comment